Cape Girardeau School District Shares Information on Low Cost/No Cost Internet Service During Outbreak
We encourage families, where possible, to take the next step, by ensuring students have access to the internet at home. Some internet providers are offering free, low or reduced cost programs and resources for families. Here’s what we know so far:
Charter / Spectrum
Beginning Monday, March 16, Charter commits to the following for 60 days:
- Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and WiFi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100/200 Mbps.
- To enroll call 1-844-488-8395.
- Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
- After 60 days, there is a monthly $54.95 charge. However, families may call before the 60-day timeframe elapses, and cancel with no charge.
- For eligible low-income households without school-aged children, Charter continues to offer Spectrum Internet Assist, a low-cost broadband program delivering speeds of 30 Mbps.
- Charter will open its WiFi hotspots across its area for public use (where available).
- Spectrum does not have data caps or hidden fees.
- Cannot have an outstanding balance.
- Cannot have had internet with Spectrum for 30 days before application.
- Emergency Response 1
- Option 1
- $10.00 2GB high speed data then unlimited reduced speed data plan, 50% off a hotspot, 12 month agreement. ($42.00 hotspot) – For the next 60 days this plan will provide 20GB of high-speed data per user.
- Option 2
- $20.00 Truly Unlimited high-speed data plan with a Free hotspot, 12 month agreement.
- Option 1
Access from AT&T
- Speeds and Costs
- 10 megabits per second $10 per month, 5 megabits per second, for $10 per month, 3 megabits per second, for $5 per month.
- No commitment, No deposit, no installation fee, in-home WiFi modem and WiFi access at more than 30,000 AT&T hotspots nationwide – included.
- English: 1-855-220-5211
- Spanish: 1-855-220-5225
- At least one person in your household must be a participant in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.
- You must live in one of the 21 states where AT&T provides wireline home Internet service, and at least one of the Access from AT&T Internet speeds must be available at the address where you live.
Comcast Internet Essentials (where available)
- Speeds and Costs
- 15 megabits per second $9.95 per month plus tax.
- No contract, no credit check, no installation fee, in-home wifi.
- You are eligible for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and others.
- You do not have outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than a year old.
- Families with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.
- You live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available but have not subscribed to it within the last 90 days.
- Once becoming an Internet Essential customer you have the option to purchase a laptop or desk computer at a discounted price:
- Comcast Internet response to the coronavirus
- As the country deals with the effects of the coronavirus (COVID-19), Comcast is taking immediate steps to help connect more low-income families to the Internet at home. Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, anyone who signs up for Internet Essentials will receive two free months of Internet service. Comcast is also increasing the speed of the program to 25 Mbps downloads, and 3 Mbps uploads for all new and existing customers.
- After your first two free months expire, you can either cancel the service (which you can do at any time) or keep it as a regular paying Internet Essentials customer. You will receive an easy to use self-install-kit that includes a cable modem (to receive service at your home) with a WiFi router (to connect your devices without wires). There is no term contract or credit check and no shipping fee for equipment.
- Shop internet service providers and compare dozens of internet options and choose the best one for your home with your zip code.
- Call one of their experts who can make a recommendation based on your needs or take your order by phone. 1-888-209-5085