The Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center today reports the fourth and fifth deaths of Cape Girardeau County residents due to COVID-19. Both residents were in their 80’s. No further details are being provided at this time due to medical privacy laws.
Everyone is urged to take preventive actions to prevent the spread of all respiratory viruses. These actions include:
• Stay at least 6 feet away from individuals not in your household
• Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth mask when in public
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
• Stay home if you are sick.
Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more severe complications from COVID-19. If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your health care provider for medical advice before showing up.
For more information, visit our website at http://www.cgcohealthdept.com/Corona%20Virus.aspx or the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus. A statewide COVID-19 hotline also operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 877-435-8411.